Each year, more and more older adults are making a positive impact in our communities. As volunteers, employees, employers, educators, mentors, advocates, and more, they offer insight and experience that benefit the entire community. That’s why Older Americans Month (OAM) has been recognizing the contributions of this growing population for 56 years.
Led by the Administration for Community Living (ACL) each May, Older Americans Month provides resources to help older Americans stay healthy and independent, and resources to help communities support and celebrate their diversity.
This year’s OAM theme, Connect, Create, Contribute, encourages older adults and their communities to:
- Connect with friends, family, and local services and resources.
- Create through activities that promote learning, health, and personal enrichment.
- Contribute time, talent, and life experience to benefit others.
Heart ‘n Home is celebrating Older Americans Month by promoting ways that community members of all ages can take part in helping their communities thrive. We encourage you to:
1. Enjoy every moment possible with those you love.
2. Visit the National Council on Aging website for resources.
3. Join your local Senior Center for fun activities & meals.
4. Request a free in-home CARE visit from a Heart ‘n Home
representative. This is available to older Americans and people with life-limiting illnesses. We will provide hospice education and other resources.
1. Take a class or workshop and learn to paint, dance, or navigate social media.
2. Create a fitness plan that involves physical activity and maintaining a healthy diet.
3. Go online to learn a new language, write a blog, or earn a college degree.
1. Volunteer by participating in fundraisers, food drives, and community cleanups. Heart ‘n Home has a wonderful Volunteer Program that is open to all.
2. Join a local neighborhood organization to be heard and participate in community planning.
3. Share stories about history and culture with schools, family, and friends.
Communities that support and recognize older adults are stronger! Join us in strengthening our community – this May and throughout the year. Join our Volunteer Team today!